The book is organized by month and offers three event ideas for each. Each idea comes with a list of supplies/materials needed and photo-illustrated step-by-step instructions. Here's just one idea: October is Adopt-a-Shelter Dog Month. So, throw a Puppy Love Party! First coordinate with a shelter to make sure they can take your items. Then, have a party wherein you and your friends make homemade dog treats and toys... and then donate them to the shelter. Lulu gives recipes for dog and human treats and step-by-step instructions for making doggie toys with empty water bottles and old tube socks. Her ideas are very creative, thoughtful, and easily carried out.
I love Lulu's encouragement in the dedication, "Live each day with purpose and always remember to play"! Highly recommended for ages 10 to 110!
Perfect partner titles for this are:
- Be a Changemaker: How to Start Something That Matters by Laurie Ann Thompson (Beyond Words/Simon & Schuster, Sept 2014)
- The Bernie Sanders Guide to Political Revolution: A Guide for the Next Generation by Bernie Sanders (Henry Holt, Aug 2017)
- Can Your Smartphone Change the World? by Erinne Paisley (Orca, Sept 2017)
- I Am Malala (youth edition) by Malala Yousafzai (Little, Brown Books for Young Readers, Sept 2015)
- It's Your World: Get Informed, Get Inspired and Get Going by Chelsea Clinton (Philomel, Sept 2015)
- Marley Dias Gets It Done - And So Can You by Marley Dias (Scholastic, Jan 2018)
Follow the author and her organization on Twitter (Lulu; LemonAID Warriors), Facebook, YouTube, and her blog.